Science Leader Najam Asghar '13
2010 - Paramedic internship, Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, New London, Conn.
Academic Year Science-Related Activities
Since Fall 2009 - Laboratory assistant, biology department, for Professor Suriyapperuma, setting up microbiology, cells and organisms labs
"Antimicrobial activity in Ilex Opaca"
- Transport volunteer, Cape Cod Hospital radiology department, Cape Cod, Mass.
- Since Fall 2009 - Bilingual tutor coordinator, Jennings Elementary School in New London, Conn., for the America Reads Challenge
- After-school tutor for elementary students, New London Public Library
- Treasurer for Yalla Bina, Arabic-focused student club that seeks to raise money for "Enlightenment Through Books" for a school for women in Pakistan
- Secretary for La Unidad, a student club that fosters unity and acceptance of Latino cultures on campus
- Environmental representative for his residence hall, freshman year
He hoped to do his CELS internship in the summer of 2012 with the Mexican Solidarity Network in Chicago, or work with public schools in Mexico City.
After graduation, he hopes to teach science to elementary school students in New York City using critical pedagogy, and to seek a Master of Arts in Teaching, Elementary Education, from Columbia University Teachers College