OVCS Awards & Distinctions
Connecticut College "has a long tradition of teaching students how to effect social and environmental change." — Making a Difference College and Graduate Guide (8th Edition)
"Connecticut College boasts the rare wonder of a civic-engagement program that is heavily trafficked without being required. ... At Connecticut College, getting involved comes naturally." — Colleges with a Conscience
National recognition for OVCS five years in a row
Connecticut College has earned a national reputation as an "Engaged Campus" with outstanding service-learning programs and community partnerships.
Connecticut College has been named by the Corporation for National and Community Service to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction, in recognition of extraordinary volunteer efforts by the College and its students, in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013. The College was the only Connecticut school to be so recognized in 2009. Read the 2013 news release.
The College has been included in the Princeton Review's book "Colleges with a Conscience: 81 Great Schools with Outstanding Community Involvement" for its dedication to combining academics with community service. Connecticut College has been cited as one of the nation's best colleges for fostering social responsibility and public service, according to The Princeton Review and Campus Compact. (above photo: OVCS staff members pose with Campus Compact leaders, 2013)
Colleges and universities across the country invite Connecticut College faculty and staff to assist in the development of their own service programs.
Connecticut State Department of Higher Education recognizes OVCS
OVCS students and programs have also earned a wide range of local, state, and national honors and awards. The Connecticut Department of Higher Education has recognized:
- Sandro Aguilar '08 for work with youth development
- Jesse Meadow '08 for strengthening ties between campus and New London
- Misha Johnson '08, Tyler Dunham '09, Michael Seager '09, Benjamin Pedley '09 and Leia Crosby '08 for developing a campus composting system
- Nicole Adams '06 for outstanding service as a student
- Ralph DeLouis '06, Matthew Eaton '06, Robinson Rojas '06 and Mark Sabagereka '08 for success of the My Brother Mentoring Program
- Natasja Eerens '06 for work in education and dance with Project KBA (Kids, Books & Athletics)
- The OVCS Arbo Project and Playworks were also awarded for excellence