Barbecues and Grills
Outdoor grilling by students is authorized, provided the following policy is adhered to:
- Prior authorization from Campus Safety and the Office of Residential Education and Living is required.
- Only charcoal grills are used. Propane grills are unauthorized, and will be confiscated by Campus Safety.
- Use only "Match Light®" type charcoal briquettes, which do not require lighter fluid. Possession and use of lighter fluid is prohibited. Storage of unused bisques in residential buildings is prohibited.
- All grilling must be done at least 15 feet away from any building, and away from any other combustible material (wood, paper, cloth etc.) this includes wooden decks.
- Proper disposal of ashes is of the utmost importance. Hot coals can be well insulated in the ashes, and can stay hot for days. Never empty ashes into a paper or plastic bag, cardboard box, plastic pail or other combustible container.
- Before disposing the ashes, they must be completely extinguished and cold to the touch. Once the ashes have cooled, empty the ashes into a metal bucket, and add a small amount of water then stir to ensure that they are fully extinguished.
- Completely extinguished ashes may be packaged and left for the normal trash pick up (Do not bring them into the building and discard into trash can.) Alternatively, the ashes may be added to a compost pile.