At Connecticut College the affirmative action officer (AAO) position is full-time.
The AAO reports to the President and works closely with the Dean and Associate Dean of the Faculty, the Dean of Student Life, the Dean of Multicultural Affairs, and with the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid as needed.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Guide the work of faculty and staff search committees
- Assist with internal complaints of discrimination
- Assist in developing College policies: interpret affirmative action/equal opportunity policies and regulation; develop and implement programs to ensure College compliance
- Develop and conduct programs to educate faculty, staff and students on affirmative action policies and regulations; disseminate information to increase awareness of affirmative action issues
- Educate the College community on the College's affirmative action objectives and the College's commitment to providing a work environment that supports equal opportunity
- Conduct needs assessment as necessary; recommend corrective action
- Serve on committees as requested
- Support faculty and staff development as necessary
- Provide mediation and problem-solving facilitation when needed among all constituencies
- Provide training as needed
This website was compiled by Judy Kirmmse, Affirmative Action Officer at Connecticut College, and Yalidy Mercedes Matos '09.
Affirmative Action Officer
Fanning Hall 113
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4196