- Majors, Departments and Programs
- Degree Requirements
- Global Focus
- Certificate Programs
- Arts & Culture
- Honors/Independent Study
- Internships & Student Research
- Scholarships & Fellowships
- Law, Medicine, Business
- Honors & Distinctions
- Student Accessibility Services
- Graduate Study & Non-Traditional Programs
- Meet the Deans
- Academic Calendar
The major in art history provides the student with an understanding of the visual arts in relation to society, culture and history.
Particular strengths of the department include Medieval art, Renaissance and Baroque art, 20th-century art, American art, Asian art, African art and architectural history. Courses are also offered in Islamic art and in museum studies.
Local resources include:
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum
- the Wetmore Print Collection in the department
- the Chu-Griffis Asian Art Collection in the College's Shain Library
- various local museums
Since the history of art provides an avenue into the study of the history of culture, majors are encouraged to enroll in relevant courses in history, literature, music, anthropology, and gender and women's studies. Majors are encouraged to study foreign languages. German and French are especially recommended for students contemplating graduate study.
Visit the art history department website for more information, to meet our faculty, see guidelines for current students and more.